Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Another day in Oz-Land...


Just another day passed…it seems like the sequel of Run Lola Run…every morning, I barely pull myself from bed to the loo…then walk like a zombie to the dining hall…grab myself a quick sandwich, and if I am unlucky, the grilling machine won’t toast my bread enough. And if I am any later than 8:30am, which I always am, I miss the good hot stuff…then I have to go through the same cold tuna fish with salad sandwich…but the Lipton tea is good…I never tried the cereals though…will do it, if I wake up early tomorrow morning…

Today I actually found two really heavy Biology books from the Hancock Library…and I am lucky I got to borrow it for 4 weeks. I would have never bought the books otherwise…oh and today I also went for the BBQ of Ekta- an Indian Subcontinent Students’ Association…again, met a girl from Kolkata…Kolkata shotty pichhu charchena…eikhaneo maobad, eikhaneo naxal…aaro koto ki boshe ache amar jonne ke jane…(ami jani ekhon eta porey ekjoner ga-ta gulachhe…tahole tumi glucose guley khao kutu…energy pabe)…Anyway, I met a girl from Bangladesh also…but she was born and brought up in Canberra…and I met a lot of South Indians…they kept on talking of Dosa…but offered me a fag…it felt good, after so long…since the time of the slogans…

Went to the school of psychology to take part in a PhD research project...this lady is doing "Making Poverty History"...there was a group discussion...it seemed like I was the only person talking...apparently she is concerned about Water for Life projects...it's about supplying safe drinking water in developing countries...had to answer a queer set of questionnaires as well...

I find a very strange trend in some students here…especially those who are from Malaysia and Singapore…they seem to be apprehensive of blogging…afraid of revealing…afraid of being in the wrong after writing about known people around…that’s so weird…I never thought of it this way…that I will be uncomfortable if I wrote something strong about somebody…..phew! the whole thing doesn’t register inside me…I can’t think of a life having to curb my straight-forwardness…or not being able to write openly…

There’s an Italian population genetics researcher in my hall…I met his wife today…she is just too beautiful and speaks in this really lovely spanglish accent…she is Mexican...she offered teaching me basics in Spanish…hope it works out…I wanted to learn Spanish so much…just didn’t take it up as an elective for fear of doing badly in assignments and exams…but if I get to learn the basics, I will be able to take up a second semester course in it….damn, shan’t I write about something else…

But what else is there to write…besides that I am studying…at least trying to…

4 comments:

DOOMED DOCTOR said...

hey this blog is much better and real than the other one.the thing that i really liked was the last line of yours.....at least trying to study! that i can definitely understand

Unknown said...

happy to see ur face. put up some more pics.
miss u buddy.
Fat Lady

innovation said...

Blogging is great, i do agree to the same too. But i do also understand the singapore and malayasian students mentality, it is great to be nude in a nude beach but not in a place where there are bunch of guys with cloaks and daggers. Moreover, with google in the picture, i dont think , it is too hard to envision, that one day when you are gunning for that one great chance of being the best psychology doctor and you miss the chance, because 20 years back you made a comment of how neurotic your head of the department had been at a particular class, or some such comments like that. Beware! of the net, it has all the virtues and ills of a real society if not more.

Due South said...

never commented on any professor here dude...where r u talking from?????? and i really dont care who finds out what about me....maybe it might bother me for a while....but thats it....do u think it matters at all in the end???????? i prefer being frank....no matter what....